A country ham is a beautiful thing! Depending on where they come from, country hams are smoked or salt-cured. Both are improved by soaking.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 day 9 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bone-in country ham (10 lbs.)
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 lb. plus ½ cup brown sugar, divided
- 20 whole cloves, bruised
- 25 peppercorns, bruised
- 10 coriander seeds, bruised
- 2 Tbsp. dark mustard
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1½ cups apple cider
- Prepare the ham by removing the skin and most of the fat, leaving ¼" fat.
- Place the ham in a large container and add water to cover it. Add the bay leaves, 1 pound brown sugar, cloves, peppercorns, and coriander seeds; soak for 30 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Pat the ham dry and place it in a roasting pan. Mix the rest of the brown sugar with the mustard and powdered cloves; spread the mixture on the ham.
- Bake for 3½ hours, basting with the apple cider.