Country Sausage Gravy
This type of gravy is referred to as sawmill gravy in some parts of the country and as milk gravy in others. Serve it over buttermilk biscuits and hash browns with eggs.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. ground pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Add the sausage to a large skillet. Breaking it apart as you do so, fry over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until the sausage is brown and cooked through. Drain and discard most of the fat. Add the butter and stir into the sausage until it’s melted.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir-fry it into the meat for a minute, stirring continuously. Whisk in the half-and-half a little at a time. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat; maintain a simmer for 8 minutes or until the gravy thickens. Add salt and pepper and stir.