Serve this comfort-food classic with mashed potatoes and carrots.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. fresh button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium ribs celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 Tbsp. beef broth
- 2 lbs. ground beef round
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, and broth. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for about 10 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, salt and seasoned salt, thyme, parsley, and Worcestershire sauce. Add mushroom mixture and mix gently to blend. Pack into a greased 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or shape into a loaf and place on a greased shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 1 hour until browned and cooked through. Spread ketchup over the top of meatloaf for the last 5 minutes of baking.