These artichokes are as fun to eat as they are delicious. This recipe is lower in fat, too!
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup couscous
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash artichokes. Cut off stems at base and remove small bottom leaves. Stand artichokes upright in deep saucepan large enough to hold snugly. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 2-3 inches boiling water. Cover and boil gently 35-40 minutes, or until base can be pierced easily with fork. (Add a little more boiling water, if needed.) Turn artichokes upside down to drain. Carefully remove center petals and fuzzy centers with a spoon and discard. Keep warm or chill as desired.
- In medium saucepan combine chicken broth, curry powder, cumin and garlic salt; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in couscous and currants. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork. Stir in green onion and almonds. Combine lemon peel, lemon juice and vegetable oil; stir into couscous.
- Gently spread artichoke leaves until center is revealed. With a spoon, scrape out any remaining purple-tipped leaves and fuzz. Fill centers of artichokes with couscous mixture. Serve with plain yogurt, if desired. Makes 4 generous servings.