Crab and Potato Au Gratin
In this version of a classic dish, layers of potatoes, crabmeat, and a creamy cheese sauce are layered, topped with Parmesan cheese and baked to golden perfection.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¾ lb. lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook and additional 30 seconds. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme and cook for 3 minutes. Add milk and stir until thickened. Gradually sprinkle in the Cheddar and Swiss cheeses and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Place ⅓ of the potatoes in prepared baking dish and season with ½ teaspoon salt. Distribute ½ of the crabmeat over the potatoes. Pour ⅓ of the sauce over the crabmeat. Repeat layers with ⅓ of potatoes, ½ teaspoon salt, the remaining crabmeat and ⅓ of the sauce. Top with the final ⅓ of potatoes and the remaining sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and bake for 25–35 minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender, sauce is bubbling, and cheese is browned.