Using fresh crab gives a deep flavor to these fried wontons; however, imitation crab meat can also be used when needed.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 4 oz. cooked lump crab meat
- 1 Tbsp. minced chives
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 24 wonton skins
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1 cup jarred sweet-and-sour sauce
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, crab meat, chives, and seasonings together.
- Take one wonton skin and brush the edge of each side with water. Place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture in the center of the skin. Fold 2 ends of the wrapper together, pinching to seal. Fold the other ends together to make a little parcel. Use your fingers and pinch together all the seams to thoroughly seal. Repeat with the remaining wonton skins.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 375°F. In batches, fry the wontons for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat until all parcels have been fried.
- Serve immediately with sweet-and-sour sauce.