Crab Rangoon with Green Onions
Guests love this popular party appetizer, which combines the sweet, delicate flavor of crab with the crunchy texture of deep-fried wonton.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 48 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup fresh or canned crabmeat
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 tsp. minced onion
- 1 1⁄2 medium green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Cover wonton wrappers with a damp towel to prevent drying. Set aside.
- If using canned crabmeat, drain thoroughly. Flake crabmeat with a fork into a large bowl. Add cream cheese, then mix in Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, white pepper, onion, green onion, and garlic.
- Lay a wrapper in a diamond shape or circle, depending on the shape of wonton wrappers you are using. Add a heaping teaspoon of filling in the middle; spread out evenly but not too near the edges. Spread water along all 4 sides. Fold the bottom over the top to form a triangle (round wrappers will form a half moon). Seal the edges, adding more water if needed. Cover filled wontons with a damp towel to prevent drying.
- Heat oil in a 16-inch preheated wok to 375°F. Slide in wontons a few at a time, and deep-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they turn golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cool and serve.