Cracked Wheat French Bread
You can find cracked wheat on the baking aisle of the supermarket; other sources include your local co-op or health food store.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup cracked wheat
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 packages (0.25- oz.) active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups bread flour
- Place cracked wheat, butter, and salt in a heatproof bowl. Place water in microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Microwave on high power for 2 minutes or until boiling. Pour over cracked wheat mixture; stir until butter melts. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Add egg, orange juice, and buttermilk to cracked wheat mixture and stir; mixture should be lukewarm. Add yeast and 1 cup whole wheat flour; beat to combine. Add remaining cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup bread flour; beat well. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir down dough and gradually add enough remaining bread flour to form a firm dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until elastic, about 6–7 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, turn out onto floured surface, cover with bowl, and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll or pat out each half into a 12" x 8" rectangle. Tightly roll up, starting with longer side.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Slash top of dough with a sharp knife. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake bread for 40–50 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped with finger. Let cool on wire rack.