Cracked Wheat Hoagie Buns
Hoagie buns are like French bread but smaller, so theyʼre easy to use for making sandwiches.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup cracked wheat
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 packages (0.25 oz.) active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 Tbsp. wheat germ
- 3 Tbsp. cornmeal
- Place cracked wheat, butter, and salt in a heatproof bowl. Place water in microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Microwave on high power for 2 minutes or until boiling. Pour over cracked wheat mixture; stir until butter melts. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Add egg, orange juice, and buttermilk to cracked wheat mixture and stir; mixture should be lukewarm. Add yeast and 1 cup whole wheat flour; beat to combine. Add remaining cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup bread flour; beat well. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir down dough and gradually add enough remaining bread flour to form a firm dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until elastic, about 6 to 7 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Let dough rise for 1 hour, then punch down, cover with a bowl, and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into half; divide each half into thirds, then into thirds again, to make 18 balls.
- Shape each into an oval. Grease 2 large baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Arrange dough on the cornmeal, then cover and let rise for 40 minutes until doubled. Carefully make a slash into the top of each roll.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake rolls for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.