Cranberry Apple Tart with Brown Sugar Topping
Dried cranberries are available in a range of flavors. For variety, try orange- or cherry-infused cranberries in this recipe.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ cup chilled shortening
- ¼ cup ice water
- 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. plus ⅓ cup butter, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9" quiche or tart pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine 1 cup flour and salt in a bowl. Add chilled shortening and cut with knives or pastry cutter until mixture resembles small peas. Add ice water and work mixture with fingers until water is incorporated. Form dough into a soft ball. Place ball in the center of prepared pan. Press dough evenly across bottom and up sides of pan.
- Place apples and cranberries in a large bowl. Mix together granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon and toss with apples and cranberries. Sprinkle with vanilla. Spread mixture evenly over crust and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and 1 cup flour. Work in ⅓ cup butter with fingers until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
- Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes, or until top is browned and apple mixture is bubbly.