Cranberry Breakfast Biscuits
These “drop biscuits” are easy to make first thing in the morning. They are lightly sweet and studded with chewy bits of dried cranberries. Serve these with soft butter, honey, and orange marmalade.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the cranberries and orange juice. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then remove from the microwave and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add the cubed butter and, using your fingers, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like coarse sand. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and chill for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing cup, strain the cranberries and discard orange juice. Add the cranberries to the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk and vanilla. Mix until the dry ingredients are just moistened, then scoop the dough into 12 equal balls onto the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before serving.