Cranberry Cardamom Pecan Muffins
These muffins have the warm, exotic flavor of cardamom along with tangy dried cranberries. They freeze beautifully, so make these when you have time, then just pull out what you need the night before to thaw in the refrigerator.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. cardamom
- 1⁄4 tsp. allspice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare 18 muffin cups with nonstick spray, or line with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, allspice, and salt. Once sifted, add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, buttermilk, and eggs and whisk until well mixed.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients pour in the wet ingredients. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold the mixture until just combined, about 12 strokes. Add 1⁄2 cup each of the pecans and dried cranberries and fold 3 to 4 more times to distribute. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle the reserved cranberries and pecans over the tops. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and spring back when gently pressed in the center. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.