Cranberry Eggnog Bread
Save to My Recipes
There are few flavor combinations as evocative of the holidays as rum and nutmeg. Studded with winter rubies, this is a loaf fit for family and friends.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 30 minutes
- ½ cup dark rum
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1½ cups dried cranberries
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 2 tsp. rum extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- Combine rum, orange juice, and cranberries. Set aside to plump overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" × 5" loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Add eggs one by one. Add vanilla bean and rum extract. Sift together all-purpose flour, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with eggnog. Fold in plumped cranberries and juice.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake 30 minutes, until risen. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil if loaf browns too quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Continue cooling on a rack.