Cranberry Granola Bars
These granola bars are perfect to grab on the way out the door. Make up a batch and you will never be stuck without something to snack on. Dried cherries, blueberries, or apricots would also work well in this recipe.
Serves: 26Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups certified gluten-free quick-cook oats
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1⁄4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Mix together the oats, brown rice flour, flaxseed, almonds, quinoa, sunflower and sesame seeds, and coconut on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent burning. As soon as the oat mixture is toasted, remove the pan from the oven. While the oat mixture is toasting, line a 9-by-13-inch pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking oil.
- Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add the brown sugar, honey, butter, cinnamon, and salt. Bring the mixture to a strong boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place the toasted oat mixture in a large bowl, and stir in the dried cranberries. Pour the hot liquid mixture into the bowl and stir aggressively until all the ingredients are moist and well combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Evenly spread out the mixture using a wet rubber spatula. Set the baking sheet aside and let the mixture cool for 2 to 3 hours or until it is hardened.
- Once the mixture is hard, remove it from the pan and turn it out onto a cutting board. Remove the parchment paper. Cut the granola into bars by pressing straight down with a long knife. Cut approximately 26 bars, 1 by 5 1⁄2 inches each.
- Wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap, and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.