Cranberry-Orange Hot Cross Buns
This Easter, celebrate with the delicious combination of oranges and cranberries.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 Tbsp. orange juice, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. grated orange zest, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- 3 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp. instant yeast
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine 1⁄4 cup orange juice, 1 tablespoon orange zest, and cranberries in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the milk, eggs, butter, yeast, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until the dough comes together into a soft ball and pulls away from the side of the mixer, about 5 minutes. Add the cranberry mixture and mix until well combined.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and lightly cover it with a damp towel. Let the dough rise 1 1⁄4 hours; it may not double.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal-sized balls. Place in the prepared baking pan and lightly cover the pan. Let the rolls rise again for 45 minutes, or until the edges touch and the rolls are noticeably risen.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake rolls for 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the rolls to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar with the remaining orange juice and orange zest to form an icing thick enough to pipe on the rolls. Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary. Use a pastry bag to pipe a cross of icing on each roll. Serve warm or cool.