Serve as an early-morning treat before holiday festivities or as a breakfast treat anytime of year.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. orange zest
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Break the egg into a small dish and beat well with a fork. Add the egg to the flour mixture and beat together until blended. Add the sour cream and orange peel mixture and beat just until blended. Fold in cranberries.
- Prepare a smooth surface by sprinkling it lightly with flour. Turn the dough out of the bowl. Using floured hands, knead the dough for about 30 seconds, or until smooth. Shape into a circle and cut like a pie to form triangles.
- Place the scones 1 inch apart on a greased or nonstick cookie sheet. Bake until the tops are just barely browned, 15 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.