Serve these delicious muffins warm with some whipped honey or raspberry jam.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups regular oats, divided
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 18 muffin cups with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- Pour orange juice into a microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, then pour into large bowl. Add 1 1⁄2 cups oats and butter; stir until butter melts. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat in sour cream, brown sugar, 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, egg, egg whites, and vanilla. Stir in flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and cardamom and mix just until combined. Stir in dried cranberries and walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin cups. In small bowl, whisk remaining 1⁄4 cups oats, 1⁄4 cup sugar, and 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon together and sprinkle over muffins. Bake for 25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.