Cream Cheese Braid
Save to My Recipes
The natural tanginess of cream cheese gives this bread a subtle but distinctive flavor, reminiscent of cheesecake.
Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 3 hours 55 minutes
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup honey
- 3½ tsp. active dry yeast (2 packages)
- 2 packages (8 oz.) cream cheese, diced
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine water, honey, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 package cream cheese, butter, eggs, all-purpose flour, and ¾ teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Add enough bread flour to create a firm dough. Add flour only to reduce stickiness. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 8–10 minutes. Return to bowl, dust the top with flour, and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface, divide into 4 equal portions, and form a 4-strand braid. Place onto prepared pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and proof for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk egg white with remaining salt and brush the top of the risen loaf. Bake until golden brown and hollow sounding, about 30–40 minutes. Cool the loaf completely on a rack.
- In a small bowl combine remaining package cream cheese with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Drizzle over bread before serving.