Cream-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
It’s fun to bite into these cupcakes and discover the chocolate cream hidden inside. These cakes are perfect for any type of party, from kids to adult.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder, divided
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 container (12 oz.) chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 12 muffin tins with nonstick baking spray containing flour; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, 2 tablespoons cocoa, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt and mix with wire whisk.
- In small bowl, combine butter and buttermilk and mix well. Stir into flour mixture along with melted chocolate; beat until smooth. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling each about 3⁄4 full. Bake for 20 minutes until tops spring back when touched with finger. Remove from muffin tins and cool completely on wire rack.
- In small bowl, beat cream with confectioners’ sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons cocoa, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Cut a slice from the top of the cupcakes, and scoop out center of cake. Fill with cream, replace tops, and then frost with chocolate frosting. Store in refrigerator.