Cream of Chicken Soup
This is so rich and good—comfort food at its best. This really is an entrée dish when accompanied with a green salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped, peeled carrot
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp. thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 1½ cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion, and carrots; cook until soft, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and salt, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk the flour into the pan juices and cook until bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- Add the stock, thyme, and pepper, and stir. Cook until slightly thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the half-and-half and chicken; bring to a low simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve hot garnished with parsley.