Cream of Onion Soup
Replace the vegetable oil with a nut oil to complement the onion flavor. Or try a garnish of croutons and shredded cheese.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 5 cups minced yellow onion
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. horseradish sauce
- 2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan, warm the milk very slowly, up to just before the boiling point. Take the pan off the heat, keeping it covered.
- In a soup pot, heat the oil. Stir in the onions and mustard. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture, whisking constantly. Add the water, hot milk, horseradish, pepper sauce, and salt and stir to combine. Warm to serving temperature.
- Purée soup using an immersion blender. Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving.