Cream of Potato Soup
You can turn this into “baked potato” soup by topping it with bacon bits, shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions, or serve it plain with just a scattering of chives. Dress it up with smoked salmon and caviar or stir in a purée of roasted bell peppers for a hearty broth.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground white pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the shallots in butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth to the shallots; then add the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until potatoes are cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Purée in a blender, return to low heat, and add milk, cream, salt, and pepper; stir and remove from heat.