Cream of Root Vegetable Soup
The warm autumn spices, ginger and nutmeg, work beautifully in this nutritious and warming soup.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 small rutabagas, peeled and finely diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup light cream
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter; add the sweet potatoes, rutabagas, carrots, red potatoes, and onion and garlic, and sauté over medium heat just until garlic is golden (about 5 minutes).
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes until root vegetables are tender.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender (or in batches in a traditional blender); stir in cream, ginger, nutmeg, and brown sugar.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes over medium-low heat.