Cream of Spinach Soup
This is a delicious soup. Pair with an entrée salad for a complete luncheon. This soup is also appropriate for group brunches.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 packages (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 cups half-and-half, at room temperature
- Combine the spinach, onions, and stock in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the spinach is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and let cool for several minutes.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a food processor fitted with a metal blade (or a blender). Process until smooth. Work in batches if necessary.
- Transfer the spinach mixture back to the saucepan and slowly add the half-and-half, stirring constantly to combine. Reheat gently until heated throughout, about 6 to 8 minutes; do not boil. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve hot.