Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cups thinly sliced mixed fresh wild mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 cups water
- 3 tsp. Minor’s Low Sodium Chicken Base
- 1⁄2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large, heavy nonstick skillet, heat the oil and melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms; sauté until the mushrooms become soft and most of the mushroom liquid is evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir well to make a roux, cooking for about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the water. Raise the temperature and bring to a boil. Whisk in the chicken base until dissolved.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the nonfat dry milk until dissolved.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with freshly ground nutmeg, pepper, and chopped parsley.