A perfect accompaniment to grilled meat. You can substitute brandy or cognac if you don’t have the specialty wines on hand.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. mixed mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Madeira or port wine
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the shallots; cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the shallots and stir.
- Stir in the mushrooms, cream, wine, thyme, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.