Creamed Mushrooms with Shallots
For a decadent sense of luxury, nothing compares with the silky-rich taste of mushrooms in a mushroom-flavored cream sauce. This dish is delicious over polenta or poured over toasted bread for luscious open-faced sandwiches.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 oz. thick-cut bacon, sliced
- 6 small shallots, peeled and halved
- 10 oz. assorted mushrooms, halved
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme blossoms or leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. heavy cream, divided
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- In a heavy skillet, cook the bacon until the fat renders out and the bacon starts to crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and cook for 1 minute; add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook until mushrooms have given up their water, and most of it has evaporated.
- Add 1 cup cream; simmer until the cream has reduced almost to nothing. Remove pan from heat; stir in remaining 2 tablespoons cream. Top with fresh parsley