Creamed Rice with Chilies
Serve with fried chorizo.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups dry white rice
- 4 cups water
- 4 habanero chilies
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- ½ lb. Monterey jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups sour cream
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the rice and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Drain off excess water and set the rice aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chilies and cut into ¼" pieces. Peel the onion and cut into ¼" pieces. Peel and mince the garlic. Thaw the peas and corn if necessary. Grate the cheese.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic; sauté until the onions are limp but not brown. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the chilies, peas, and corn; cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in the sour cream and cheese. Cook, stirring often, until the cheese is melted.
- Add the rice to the vegetable and cheese mixture; stir until well blended. Pour into an ovenproof casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until it is slightly brown on top.