Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms
The combination of greens and nutritional yeast is simply delicious and provides an excellent jolt of nutrients that vegans need. Don’t forget that spinach will shrink when cooked, so use lots!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, trimmed
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Sauté onion, garlic, mushrooms, and pepper in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add flour and heat, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add spinach and soy milk. Cook uncovered for 8–10 minutes until spinach is soft and liquid has reduced.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper.