Creamed Spinach with Nutmeg and Parmesan
The secret to this recipe is long and slow cooking to achieve the depth and silky texture that good creamed spinach has.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the flour, stirring well to make a smooth paste. Slowly stir in the cold milk, whisking constantly.
- Add the spinach, garlic, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook very slowly, uncovered, for about 1 1⁄2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir to mix. Serve hot.