Creamy Broccoli Soup
Everyone’s favorite! Creamy broccoli soup topped with Cheddar—served hot. Pair this with a light crispy salad and you have a great weekend luncheon menu.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. broccoli
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup plain croutons
- Trim the woody stalks from the broccoli and chop the remaining tender stems and tops into medium dice. Combine the broccoli, celery, and onions in a medium-sized saucepan. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables, and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the vegetables are tender, but not mushy, about 8 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to a food processor fitted with a metal blade (or a blender). Process until smooth, adding a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid if needed.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook until smooth and bubbly, about 4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes until thick.
- Stir in the broccoli purée, nutmeg, pepper, and remaining salt; bring to a simmer and cook to allow the flavors to blend. Slowly pour in the cream, whisking to blend. Heat through but do not boil. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese and croutons. Serve hot.