Creamy Chicken Chowder
Save to My Recipes
A chowder is a thick soup made with cream or milk and sometimes cheese. You can make this with sliced turkey breast if you’d like.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lbs. sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 2 cups light cream
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 6 minutes. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add potatoes; cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes until some potatoes begin to brown. Add carrots and celery; cook and stir 4 minutes.
- Add broth, basil, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes until carrots are tender. Add peas.
- Combine cream and cornstarch; add to chowder; simmer 5 minutes. Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese melts and peas are hot.