Creamy Chicken in a Mushroom and White Wine Sauce
Many traditional slow cooker recipes call for using canned cream soups. For a healthier version, this recipe shows you how to make a simple homemade cream soup using cornstarch and milk.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 6 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz.), cut into chunks
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp. poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt-free all-purpose seasoning
- 2 cans (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked pasta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Grease a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken into the slow cooker.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, milk, and white wine. Whisk in salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and all-purpose seasoning. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until sauce thickens. Pour sauce over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms on top of the chicken. Cook on low for 5 hours. Stir in the frozen peas and cook 1 hour more.
- Toss with pasta and top with cheese.