Creamy Chicken Soup
Not only do hearty soups incorporate lots of fresh veggies, but they are also so comforting and satisfying. This soup is even a perfect freezer meal because you can double or triple the batch and then just freeze what you don’t plan on eating that night for another day.
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- In a heavy bottom Dutch oven, cook chicken thighs in olive oil over medium high heat for about 15 minutes, flipping once. Make sure internal chicken temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly on a plate. The chicken will likely stick to the pan. Deglaze the pan by adding the white wine over low heat and scraping the bottom until all of the cooked bits have been loosened. Transfer the cooked chicken bits in white wine to a separate cup.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to the Dutch oven and turn heat to high. Add onions, celery and carrot and allow to cook until slightly golden brown (stirring occasionally) for a total of about 10 minutes.
- Tip: You can chop the veggies by pulsing them in a food processor. Not only does this save time, but lends a wide variety of sizes and textures, from minced to chopped.
- While vegetables are cooking, shred chicken meat. When vegetables have finished cooking, remove them from the Dutch oven and set them on the same plate as the chicken.
- Return the pan to the stove and melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add the garlic and allow to cook for about a minute, then add the flour and combine to make a roux. Allow to cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the milk and heavy cream to the roux and whisk constantly until thoroughly mixed. Continue whisking as the roux cooks until it has thickened, then whisk in the chicken broth and white wine mixture.
- Add shredded chicken and cooked vegetables to the broth and stir. Add salt to taste, and pepper as desired.
- If making a large batch for the freezer, allow soup to cool in refrigerator, then store in air tight containers or plastic storage bags to freeze. Allow to thaw in refrigerator before reheating in a pot on the stove.
- Serve with warm crusty bread or some rosemary crackers.