Creamy Chocolate Custard
Is there such a thing as too much chocolate? Even if you are not a chocolate fan, this unbelievably rich and smooth recipe will make a convert out of you.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. unsweetened whipped cream
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Place an oven-safe bowl in a deep baking pan just large enough to hold it.
- In a small saucepan or a double boiler, over very low heat, melt chocolate while slowly stirring. Once chocolate is fluid, very slowly add cream, whisking constantly until it is completely blended with chocolate, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, egg yolk, sweetener, and vanilla until eggs are foamy and sweetener is dissolved. Slowly pour egg mixture into cream, whisking constantly to combine well. Pour mixture through a fine strainer into the bowl set in the baking dish.
- Pour hot water into baking pan halfway up the bowl. Bake until custard is set, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in baking pan about 4 hours. Spoon into serving dishes and top with whipped cream and cocoa before serving. Can be stored in refrigerator up to 3 days.