Creamy Coconut Pie
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sweetened coconut, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread 1⁄2 cup coconut on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring frequently, for 7 to 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Let cool, then transfer to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs slightly and stir in the granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla. Gradually stir in the hot milk. Add the remaining 1 cup coconut to the milk mixture and mix well. Pour into the pie shell.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and the center of the custard comes out clean. Let cool on a rack. Before serving, top with reserved toasted coconut.