Creamy Mac and Cheese
A combination of sharp and creamy cheeses mixed with heavy cream makes this a delicious treat.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in large pot, then add elbow macaroni, stir, bring to boil again, and then boil about 11 minutes, until tender. Drain macaroni and put in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat, then add minced onions and sauté until transparent. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons flour and whisk gently until butter and flour form a roux (about 3 minutes). Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream. Stir frequently until thickened, about 15 minutes. Combine grated Cheddar and Monterey Jack and mix until well blended. Add 1 1⁄2 cups of the blended Cheddar and Monterey Jack and sautéed onion to the cream sauce.
- Add milk, cheese, and onion mixture to hot macaroni noodles and stir gently until the noodles are evenly coated. Put this mixture into an oiled 1 1⁄2-quart-deep baking dish.
- Combine grated Parmigiano-Reggiano with remaining 1⁄2 cup of grated Cheddar and Monterey jack, and set aside. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs to melted butter, toss until evenly coated, and then sprinkle breadcrumbs and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheese over macaroni. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.