Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese? This is a wonderful creamy version, with a flavorful Cheddar sauce.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse under hot water.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a 2 1⁄2-quart baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 1⁄4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted. Combine macaroni with cheese sauce; spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, drizzle 1 tablespoon melted butter over breadcrumbs; toss to blend. Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until macaroni and cheese is hot and bubbly and topping is lightly browned.