Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Sautéed Onions
To make this decadent side dish, make creamy mashed potatoes with milk and cream cheese. Sauté onion in olive oil and serve with the mashed potatoes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, add water to cover potatoes with water by 1 inch, and stir in salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when tested with a fork. Drain into a colander. Let potatoes cool until they can be handled. Wipe out saucepan to use for mashing potatoes.
- Meanwhile, heat in medium skillet over medium-high heat, add onion; cook and stir until onion starts to caramelize and turn brown at the edges, about 10 minutes.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and return to large saucepan. Mash with a potato masher. Set pan over medium heat. Stir in milk, salt, pepper, and cream cheese. Cook, stirring constantly until ingredients are fully incorporated and potatoes are creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Serve potatoes with fried onions on top.