Creamy Microwave Risotto
This won’t have quite the same texture and flavor as authentic risotto, but it’s a good stand-in for nights when you’re in a hurry.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 cup arborio or other short-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- ½ tsp. dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the frozen peas in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Cover with microwave plastic wrap, leaving one corner open to vent steam. Microwave the peas on high heat for 2 minutes, and then for 30 seconds at a time until cooked (total cooking time should be 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the rice and 1½ cups broth. Stir in the basil, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover the dish with microwave-safe plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes. Stir in ½ cup broth and ½ teaspoon salt. Microwave on high for 5 more minutes.
- Stir, cover, and microwave for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is mainly absorbed and the rice grains are tender. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.