Creamy Mushroom and Cognac Sauce
Save to My Recipes
This goes great over wheat-free pasta, polenta, or rice. Or add an extra 1
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutes
- ½ cup cognac
- 1 package (4 oz.) dried porcini or Asian black mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. chestnut flour
- 4 medium shallots, peeled and minced
- 10 oz. button mushrooms, bases of stems removed
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup gluten-free beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. chopped thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cognac and dried mushrooms in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the stove and cool. Purée in the blender until very smooth.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan, and stir in the chestnut flour, stirring until well blended. Add the shallots and button mushrooms, stirring constantly for 3–4 minutes.
- Whisk in the rest of the ingredients, including the puréed mushroom and cognac mixture.