Creamy Mushroom Soup
If the only cream of mushroom soup you’ve ever eaten was out of a can, you’re in for a treat. This rich and creamy soup is a homemade classic.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 packages (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups 1% milk
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 can (13 oz.) evaporated skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ⅓ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large soup pot, combine mushrooms, onion, garlic, and celery with the wine over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the 1% milk and nutmeg and bring back to a simmer. Cover pan, reduce heat to very low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine evaporated milk with flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper and mix well. Add to soup and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until the soup thickens
- Add lemon juice and stir. Serve topped with the parsley.