Creamy Potato Scallop
This luscious potato casserole is a nice departure from the everyday boiled or mashed potatoes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. red or round white potatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Peel potatoes and slice into about ¼"-thick rounds. You should have about 4 cups. Arrange half of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, flour, onion, and cheese. Dot the layer all over with half of the small pieces of butter. Repeat layer; dot with remaining butter and add milk to cover potatoes. Cover with foil.
- Bake the casserole for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove the foil the last 10 minutes of baking or put under the broiler for 1–2 minutes after baking to brown the top.