Creamy Potato Scallop
This luscious potato casserole is a nice departure from the everyday boiled or mashed potatoes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. red or round white potatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Peel potatoes and slice into about 1⁄4-inch-thick rounds. You should have about 4 cups. Arrange half of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, flour, onion, and cheese. Dot the layer all over with half of the small pieces of butter. Repeat layer; dot with remaining butter and add milk to cover potatoes. Cover with foil.
- Bake the casserole for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove the foil the last 10 minutes of baking or put under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes after baking to brown the top.