Creamy Red Lentils (Masoor Ki Dal)
Serve this tasty north Indian dish with basmati rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup red split lentils (masoor dal), well rinsed
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- In a deep pot, combine 4 cups of water, turmeric powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Bring to a boil. Add all the lentils and mix well. Bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft. If the water begins to dry out, add up to ½ cup more. (The consistency should be like a creamy soup.) Remove from heat.
- Using a spoon, mash the cooked lentils. Set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat the remaining vegetable oil. Add the cumin seeds. When they begin to sizzle, add the garlic and red chili powder; sauté for about 20 seconds.
- Remove from heat and pour over the lentils. Mix well and serve hot.