Creamy Sausage Gravy
Serve this delicious old-fashioned Southern gravy with biscuits or grits.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings or lard
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- In a heavy skillet, cook sausage, breaking it up with a spatula, until no longer pink. Use a slotted spoon to transfer sausage to a plate.
- Add bacon drippings or lard to the skillet drippings and heat on medium-low. Add flour, stirring until well blended and bubbly, about 30 seconds. Gradually stir in milk, stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Stir in sausage and season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.