Creamy Shrimp (Malai Jhinga)
Start cooking the tomatoes while the shrimp is marinating. Serve with basmati rice or Indian flat breads such as naan or roti. You can buy ginger-garlic paste at Indian markets or online.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder, divided
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Water, as needed
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- Table salt, to taste
- 4 Tbsp. light cream
- Place the shrimp in a bowl. Rub about ¾ teaspoon of the turmeric on the shrimp and set aside for about 10 minutes. Rinse them well and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes or until the oil begins to separate from the tomatoes. Add 1 tablespoon of water if the mixture appears to be sticking.
- Add the remaining turmeric, the red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt; mix well. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp. Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and add the light cream; mix well. Serve hot.