Creamy Tomato Soup
This soup can be served hot or cold. You can use peeled fresh tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes if desired.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups canned stewed, diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. honey
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp. chopped basil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and combine the tomatoes, green onions, red pepper, garlic, stock, and honey. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for several minutes.
- In a blender or a food processor fitted with a metal blade, purée the soup until smooth. Transfer back to the pan and stir in the half-and-half, basil, salt, and pepper. Heat to a light simmer and adjust seasoning to taste. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with the chopped chives.