Creamy Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
For the best, most robust mushroom flavor use a blend of fresh mushrooms such as portobello, shiitake, hen of the wood, and button.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups chopped mixed mushrooms, such as portobello, shiitake, hen of the wood, and button
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- Heat butter in a 6- or 8-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the onion and celery, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Slowly add the stock, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, then transfer it back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until heated through. Stir in the hot sauce. Serve hot.