Crème Pâtissière (Pastry Cream)
Save to My Recipes
A great basic in French pastry, Crème Pâtissière is used in a lot of cakes.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 cups
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Slice the vanilla pod lengthwise. Put in a small saucepan with the milk. Bring to a boil over low heat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg yolks and the sugar until the mixture whitens. Add the flour and stir rapidly, using a wooden spoon.
- Take the vanilla pod out of the milk, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon, and put them back in the milk. Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture, stirring continuously.
- Put mixture back in the saucepan, on very low heat. Stir continuously and stop as soon as the first bubbles appear.
- Pour in bowl and reserve. It can be stored 48 hours in the refrigerator.