Crepes with Curaçao Strawberries and Oranges
If you find lumps when making the batter, pass it through a sieve lined with several pieces of cheesecloth. If your batter is too thick, just add a bit of milk.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large eggs
- 1¾ to 2 cups milk, as needed
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries, sliced, plus extras for garnish
- 2 oranges, cut into segments
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Curaçao
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 8 fresh mint sprigs
- To make the batter: In a large bowl whisk together eggs and 1¾ cups milk. Whisk in flour, sugar, salt, a bit at a time, until there are no more lumps. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl mix together the strawberries, orange segments, brown sugar, and Curaçao. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place a 12" frying pan over medium-high heat (when you spatter a bit of water and it sizzles, it is ready). Drop in 1 teaspoon butter, tipping the pan so it distributes evenly on bottom. Pour in only ¼ cup batter and distribute evenly on bottom by tipping and rotating pan. When the batter bubbles and the sides appear cooked, approximately 20 to 30 seconds, flip with a spatula. Cook very briefly on second side, transfer to another plate, stacking crepes, one at a time.
- To serve, place a heaping spoonful of the strawberry-orange mixture, inside the crepes. Add a dollop of whipped cream, and then roll up the crepe. Garnish with a small spoon of whipped cream, a few slices of strawberries, and a sprig of mint.